Personal Growth Article for reprint:
BE SMART with Setting Goals
To really nail down your goals, here’s a great way to format them. Create “BE SMART” goals: Benefits and Essence, Specific, Measurable, Action, Reward, Timing.
- Specific (WHAT) - Describe what you want as clearly as you can.
- Measurable - How will you know when you have achieved your goal or if you are getting closer?
- Action (HOW) - What actions are most needed to accomplish your goal?
- Reward (CELEBRATION) - Identify a meaningful reward for when you achieve your goal, e.g., buy yourself something or have a party.
- Timing (WHEN) - Set a date for completion. You may also set dates for reaching milestones or establish a rate (e.g., lose 2 pounds per month) that will get you to your target.
- Benefits (WHY) - Why do you want to attain this goal?
- Essence (WHY) – What qualities and values will you realize when you achieve this goal?
Set up a table like the one below to write out your goals.
Example: “I see my home as sold (S) for $100,000 (M) by June 1 of this year (T) by cleaning, painting and listing it (A) so I can be creative and peaceful in a new home (E) that is more roomy, sunny and conveniently located (B). When I move in, I will have a big house party (R).”
|I see my home as sold||for $100,000||by cleaning, painting, and listing it.||I will have a big house party||By June 1 of this year||A new home with more room & light, conveniently located.||family love, peace, creativity, beauty.|
The key here is to be as specific as you can about what you want. It is also important that you make your goals realistic. Only you can judge what is attainable for you, and it may take some practice to get a feel for this.
If you are unsure about how much you can accomplish first time around, set goals you are confident you can meet. Success breeds success. You must be able to believe that you can reach your goal – if you don’t, self-sabotage will set you up for failure.
Create a plan you can win. Give yourself time to experience and learn the process and build good habits. Once you are more comfortable with the process, you will be inspired to reach higher. You may be surprised at just how capable you are once you clearly know what you’re after!
“Concentrate on finding your goal, then concentrate on reaching it.” – Michael Friedsam
John and Patrice Robson
Higher Awareness (https://www.higherawareness.com)
Know yourself and Grow yourself with Higher Awareness.
4 FREE Tools for improved Self Control. Turn chaos into clarity and
peace of mind. Put yourself back in the driverís seat.
Check out our many Personal Goal Setting Resources.
Copyright © 1999 - 2019
Higher Awareness, Inc.
#108, 11007 Jasper Ave. Edmonton, AB. Canada T5K 0K6
Phone: 1-780-462-2167 or toll free in N.A. 1-844-828-0740 Mountain (GMT-7)
Email: John Robson