“Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
Mastering yourself is true power.”
– Lao Tzu
When someone tells you he or she is feeling lost in their lives and you ask them what led them to feel that way – they would usually tell you that they don’t exactly know. This is one of the tell-tale signs of someone who hasn’t really figured out themselves – not sure who they really are and what their life purpose is. These are people who have just been going through their lives as mere bystanders and have not been the captain of their own ship. When you allow external factors to take control of your life, it can be comfortable at first but sooner or later you lose a sense of meaning and who you truly are.
It may be very cliché for someone to say that you need to find yourself first before you can work on your life – but in reality it’s one of life’s greatest truths. You need to know yourself better and be in touch with your life purpose if you truly want to live a meaningful life.
Here are 5 reasons of how you can benefit once you know your life purpose.
- Self-acceptance becomes possible – People who say they hate their life or want to live another person’s life do not yet truly understood their own path and purpose in this world. People who are engulfed with jealousy are depriving themselves of the wonderful possibilities if they lived their OWN purpose. Once you get in touch with your inner self and learn more about yourself, only then can true self-acceptance become a reality. And once you accept who you are, you will also begin to feel good in your own skin and find yourself not needing to compare your life with others.
- You build self-confidence – When you have a clear picture of who you truly are and your purpose in life, you ultimately gain confidence with how you deal with your life. It’s just like getting lost in a forest – if you have a map your confidence that you can get back to safety greatly increases. However if you don’t have any point of reference or any knowledge of the place – you are more likely to panic and second guess every turn you make because you have no idea where you are actually headed.
- People are comfortable around you – Because you know who you are and your purpose, people can actually begin to sense that vibe of self-assurance and will actually be drawn to you. If you know of someone who is not in a good place at the moment and unsure of what exactly he/she is doing with his/her life, they tend to be very self-destructive. On top of that – they are likely to drag people into their misery. The more you are sure of yourself, the more people are comfortable to be around you.
- Better choices in relationships – People who are unsure of themselves and are generally unaware of the path that they want to be on, will find themselves forming relationships with the first person or group that gives them attention. Their clouded judgment can lead to forging relationships with the wrong types of people. So instead of taking you out of darkness, you end up digging a deeper hole for yourself. On the other hand, those who are sure of their path and purpose know exactly what type of people they should invest their time and feelings in.
- Know what career path to follow – A lot of unhappiness exists from not being in the career that people want to be in. If you don’t want to end up as part of the statistics, you need to understand yourself first – understand your strength, weaknesses, where you are happy, where you are sad, and ultimately your life’s purpose. If you give proper importance to this, you won’t ever end up in a job that pays the bills but kills you day by day.
The reasons are endless why you should start investing time and effort in knowing yourself and your life purpose – the reasons above are just scratching the surface. If you want to take the first step and take control of your life feel free to check out our Free Life Purpose Quiz so you can have a better understanding of yourself. Good luck in your journey!